Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Vagina Monologue Review




By Khou Xiong





I have heard that Vagina Monologues was a good show. I went to see the play expecting it to be good and it was. The word “monologue” made me think of people just talking at the audience, but it wasn't exactly that. Each monologue was interesting. I loved how most of the monologues had at least two people talking which turned it more into a dialogue, a discussion.



One of my favorite monologues had to have been “The Flood”. This piece let the audience hear an older woman's voice and ideas about her vagina through her younger, inner voice. Listening to the two difference voices really grabbed me from the start and I attention even more attention to the play. It made the performance much more interesting. This piece was about how the older woman was remembering when she went on a date with a boy. She got so excited when the boy kissed her that suddenly a “flood” came from her lady parts. She was embarrassed to ever talk about her vagina from then on and even refers to it as cellar that no one goes down to. “The Flood” made me think about all of the young women out there who have no idea about what is happening to a woman’s body when she gets aroused. The feeling of “wrongness” when one first has “the flood” happen to them is frightened and they usual ponder or wonder if what just happened to them was “wrong”.

Another thing that made this play really intriguing was the monologue “Vagina Happy Fact”. It was great that the play had true facts about a woman's vagina to let women in the audience know. Some of the facts were as follows: the Vagina has over 8,000 nerve endings, it is the only organ in the body that used simply for pleasure, and it has twice the amount of nerves than are found in the penis. I certainly didn’t know that a woman’s clitoris had twice the about of nerve endings than that of a man’s penis (particularly, the sensitive head of the penis).

I also like the monologue called The Woman Who Love To Make Vaginas Happy. It was about a woman who taught women how to moan and find their sexual center. She went through all of the different moans that one could have from religious moans (Catholic, Jewish) to college moans (“Oh professor!” or “I should be studying!”). It certainly was an experience to hear different moans. I laughed the most at this monologue because I didn’t know how funny moans could be when you heard it from others.



If you have never seen this play, I encourage you to go see it whether it's in next year's Vagina Monologues put on by the AS Women's Center or elsewhere. This play is entertaining and most of empowering.  

No comments:

Post a Comment