Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vagina Monologues: From an Actor's Perspective



By Lisa Ricchio




I had never seen the Vagina Monologues. I really had no idea what they were about. Besides vaginas, that is. And then one day while hanging out in the Women's Center, or better known as the Dub-C, as I often am found, someone suggested to me that I tryout for the Vmons. “You should be the moaner”, they said. Having never seen or read the monologues, but at the same time being very intrigued, I said, “Sure, why the hell not?” And I went to tryouts and read for the moaner. After tryouts, all I could think was, 'Uhhh why did they think I should be the moaner?!'


So, obviously, I got a part. A
few parts actually. I was in the introduction, the questions, the vagina workshop, and the woman who loved to make vaginas happy… aka: “The Moaner.”

The introduction was sectioned into “personalities” and then given to those of us who matched the personalities. Surprise, surprise! I was the sarcastic, dry humored character. Who would’ve thought, huh?

The questions ended up being a slide show which was a blast to make because it mostly consisted of arts and crafts. Sweet!

For the vagina workshop all I had to do was be a background person and follow the moves of “the instructor” on stage. Check.



Last but certainly not least, were the moans. As we were in rehearsals, we were doling out who would do which moan. I volunteered myself for the doggie moan, the WASP moan, and the college moan. I never thought I’d have the ovaries to get up on stage in front of 500 people in a red corset and 5 inch heels and MOAN. But hey, there’s a first time for everything, right?


Okay, so, THIS WAS THE MOST FUN EVER! My fellow cast members were awesome and really fun to hang out with 3 or 4 times a week in rehearsals and the directing duo was super patient with us. Keep an eye out next year because I’m so totally down to do it all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment